FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello (4th left), flanked by the Sapeyi of Garki Alhaji Usman Ngakupi, (2nd left) and the AMAC Chairman, Hon Adamu Candido (1st right) and other security and FCTA officials during the tour of the Airport Road, Abuja on 16/04/2021
FCT MINISTER TOURS AIRPORT ROAD, ORDERS ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION, REMOVAL OF ILLEGAL STRUCTURES AND ENFORCEMENT OF TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
1. FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello on Friday, 16th April, undertook a tour of the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua Expressway (Airport Road) and directed that immediate measures should be taken to ensure the environmental sanitation and cleanliness, enforcement of traffic regulations and removal of illegal structures along the entire road corridor.
2. The Minister said that the Airport is quite strategic as it is the gateway to the city and therefore akin to the front entrance to a home which must be kept clean and aesthetically appealing at all times.
3. Speaking at Lugbe Sarki, Malam Bello directed that petty traders, artisans and all others carrying out business activities under the high tension electricity cables should immediately vacate the area for the sake of their health and conduct their business activities within the confines of the communities.
4. The Minister also ordered that all illegal structures along the road should be removed and directed that officials of the FRSC, Directorate of Road Traffic Services as well as other security agencies should ensure compliance of traffic regulations by road users at all times.
5. Malam Bello noted with concern the penchant by some road users to drive against the traffic along the airport road, noting that their actions put the lives of other road users at risk. He also pointed out to the security agencies the activities of commercial tricycle (Keke) and motorcycle (okada) operators who have been banned from operating along the expressway and directed that they should be apprehended and made to meet the prescribed penalties.
6. Speaking at the end of the tour, the Minister pledged to restore the beauty of the Airport Road which he said had been degraded largely due to urbanization and the large influx of people into the FCT.
7. The Chairman of Abuja Municipal Area Council (Hon Adamu Candido also pledged to complement the efforts of the FCTA in effecting the measures necessary for maintaining the aesthetic value of the road.
8. The Sapeyi of Garki Alhaji Usman Ngakupi also pledged to get the cooperation of his subjects and ensure that they comply with all the traffic and environmental regulations along the airport road.
9. The Minister was accompanied on the tour by the FCT Commissioner of Police, Mr Bala Ciroma, the Sector Commander of the FRSC, Mr Gora Wobin, FCT Director of the DSS Mr Ado Muazu, Chief of Staff to the Commandant Guards Brigade, Lt. Col, S. Y Hassan, the Directors of the Abuja Environmental Protection Board, Development Control as well as the heads of other relevant departments and agencies of the FCTA.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY