FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello (first right) assisted by the Country Director, Qatar Charity Mr Hamdi Elsayed lays the foundation stone for the Qatar Charity’s housing estate for widows and orphans at the Wassa District, Abuja recently.
1. In support of efforts to provide decent housing and bring succor to the most vulnerable members of society, the Honourable Minister of the FCT, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, recently performed the foundation stone laying ceremony for a housing estate for widows and orphans being constructed by Qatar Charity, a Qatari non-governmental organization (NGO), in the Wassa District of Abuja.
2. In his remarks Malam Bello said that the project was significant as it represents the cordial and mutually beneficial relations that exists between Nigeria and the State of Qatar.
3. The Minister also revealed that the project which is in furtherance of the FCT Administration’s productive collaboration with international non-governmental organisations is a partnership between the FCTA and Qatar Charity, as its financial cost will be borne entirely by the NGO while the FCTA provides the land.
4. The Minister also expressed optimism that on completion, the estate will complement the efforts of the FCT Administration in the development of the Wassa District.
5. Speaking earlier, Country Director of Qatar Charity, Mr Hamdi Elsayed, said the estate is being constructed on about 13 hectares of land and has a planned completion period of 12 months.
6. The Housing estate, according to the Country Director, will contain 200 units of two bedroom houses, a school, a vocational training center, shops, and recreational facilities amongst other amenities.
7. Mr Hamdi also revealed that benefitting widows and orphans will not own the houses allocated to them but will remain as occupants until such a time when they will no longer need them, in which case they will be allocated to other beneficiaries.
8. Also present at the event were the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola, the Chief of Staff to the FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Borno, the Ag Coordinator, Satellite Towns Development Department, Engr Obiora Nwankwo and other senior staff of the FCTA.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY