Ag Secretary, Health and Human Services Secretariat, D Muhammed Kawu, Chief of staff to the FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai- Bornu, FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello and Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola displaying their vaccination cards after taking the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Thursday June 3 2021.
…urges residents to do same
1. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Malam Muhammad Musa Bello on Thursday, June 3, 2021, received the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, at the Area 11 office of the FCTA.
2. Also taking their second shots alongside the Minister were the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola, the Chief of Staff to the Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, the Ag Secretary of the Health and Human Services Secretariat Dr Muhammed Kawu and other staff of the FCTA.
3. Speaking after his vaccination, the Minister recalled that he took the first jab on Thursday, the 11th of March, 2021 and was now due to receive the second dose of the vaccine as prescribed by the public health officials.
4. Malam Bello revealed that 98 percent of the doses of the COVID-19 vaccine allocated to the Territory have been utilized and commended residents of the FCT for their response to the vaccination efforts of the government.
5. He however reminded them that it was only through vaccination that herd immunity can be achieved. He therefore called on all those who were yet to be vaccinated to do so.
6. In the words of the Minister, “Whatever, support the Federal Government is giving to us in the FCT, let’s grab it and use it effectively because, unless we get a substantial percentage of our population fully vaccinated, then we will not reach what the public health officials call herd immunity whereby we can say that the incidence of this particular disease has been conquered.”
7. The Minister further noted that while the number of positive cases in the FCT has been on a steady decline, in spite of the large number of residents being tested, residents must not be complacent but should continue to take measures to protect themselves against the virus.
8. The Minister also assured that the FCT Administration will continue to work hard to ensure that every resident is protected against COVID-19, with the efforts of the FCT Health and Human Services Secretariat.
9. He thereafter called on officials of the HHSS to continue to work to maintain all the facilities that have been established and installed for the purpose of the pandemic, to ensure that the FCT is fully prepared for any unforeseen event.
10. Also present were officials of the WHO, NCDC, UNICEF and other staff of the FCTA.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY