L-R FRONT ROW) Chief of Staff to FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, Chief Judge of the FCT, Hon. Justice, Salisu Garba, FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola during the courtesy visit of the Chief Judge to the FCTA.
1. In order to expand the Court Infrastructure and improve access to Justice, the FCT Administration will support the FCT Judiciary for the establishment of the Garki Division of the FCT High Court.
2. This was made known by the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello during a courtesy visit to the FCTA by the Chief Judge of the FCT, Hon. Justice Salisu Garba.
3. The Minister, while welcoming Justice Garba to the FCTA, congratulated him on his appointment and swearing-in as the Chief Judge of the FCT, adding that his appointment came at a time when the FCT needed people of the caliber of the new Chief Judge.
4. According to the Minister, Justice Garba had made the FCT the center point of his career for so many years and very few within the system possessed as much expertise and institutional memory as he does.
5. Malam Bello also expressed his appreciation to the Justices of the FCT High Court and acknowledged their efforts in the maintenance of law and order in the Territory.
6. In the words of the Minister, “The FCT is a creation of law in all its ramifications and that is why for us that are saddled with the responsibility of running this territory, we are very conscious, very appreciative and also very concerned with matters of law and order”.
7. The Minister added “That is why among all the institutions of government that are closest in enabling us to be able to achieve our mandate as managers of the territory, I think the FCT Judiciary is number one, because without your support, I don’t see how we can manage Abuja as a city and as a territory. I’m saying so with a high sense of responsibility and appreciation. So, I wish to convey our thanks to you”.
8. The Minister also congratulated the Chief Judge on the elevation of 6 Justices from the FCT High Court to the Court of Appeal and said it was a thing of pride to the FCT.
9. Speaking earlier, Hon. Justice Salisu Garba said that the FCT Minister has provided exemplary leadership in an exceptionally difficult time which he said was an eloquent statement of the Minister’s commitment to the FCT judiciary and the rule of law.
10. The Hon. Chief Judge also said “As an arm of government, ours is a tradition which expresses itself in conviction that a country’s strength lies in the success of its judiciary. It is highly commendable that the Hon. Minister has demonstrated manifest interest and commitment in supporting the FCT Judiciary with the view of facilitating quantitative and qualitative administration of justice in line with international best practices.
11. He added “This reinforced the FCT High Court’s positive image in the country as one of the courts with the modern system of justice that is fair and impartial, regardless of gender, religion or colour”.
12. Also present at the courtesy visit were the Hon. Minster of State of the FCT, Dr Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, the Permanent Secretary of the FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola, the Chief of Staff to the FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, some Justices of the FCT High Court as well as senior officials of the FCTA.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY