Commandant General, NSCDC Dr Ahmed Abubakar Audi and FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello during the visit of the Commandant General to the FCTA. on Tuesday, .21st September, 2021
…CALLS FOR RENEWED EFFORTS TO STOP VANDALISATION OF CRITICAL NATIONAL ASSET
1. The FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has assured of the FCT Administration’s support for the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, (NSCDC), while also calling for improved synergy amongst the various security agencies for the overall security of the Territory.
2. Malam Bello gave the assurance when he received the management team of the NSCDC led by its Commandant General, Ahmed Abubakar Audi who was making his first visit to the FCTA since his appointment to the position.
3. The Minister disclosed that the FCTA has had a long and beneficial working relationship with the NSCDC spanning several years and expressed optimism that this will be maintained.
4. Stressing the importance of the NSCDC to the security architecture of the Territory, the Minister said that the Corps along with the police and the DSS formed the tripod on which security in the FCT was anchored and expressed hope that this will continue under the new Commandant General.
5. Malam Bello also expressed concern over the spate of vandalisation of critical national assets in the FCT, including telecommunication ducts, manhole covers, street lights, solar panels at traffic intersections and some facilities at the Abuja light rail project.
6. He called on the NSCDC to work in conjunction with other security agencies to not only arrest the vandals but also their sponsors. In the words of the Minister, “it is a sophisticated and complicated value chain. So far the arrest of the vandals have been at the lowest level, the street urchins”.
7. “But I think it is very important now that your operations and investigations really need to identify the real culprits and beneficiaries. Where are the vandalized items sold? Where is the economic value chain? Because the amount of damage is enormous. It affects us all as a people because needed resources are recycled and recycled just to replace vandalized equipment”. The Minister added.
8. He also commended the NSCDC for the establishment of a Rapid Response squad as well as an all-female squads while also commending the activities of the FCT Command for its activities within the FCT Security Committee.
9. Earlier, the new Commandant General, Ahmed Abubakar Audi had commended the Minister for all the support the NSCDC has enjoyed from the FCTA while calling for a robust partnership that involves more information sharing between the two organisations for the overall safety of all residents of the FCT.
10. He also said that as a means of putting an end to armed banditry, the NSCDC has launched an all women squad to focus on bandits that specialize in the kidnap and rape of women, while more attention is being given, by the NSCDC, to secure public schools as well as farmers and farms across the country.
11. Also present at the event were, the Chief of Staff to the Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, Director, Human Resource Management, Malam Bashir Mohammed, Director, Security, Malam Adamu Gwary, Solicitor General of the FCTA, Barr. Yusuf Wodi and other senior officials of the FCTA and the NSCDC.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY