“YOU ARE PERFORMING ON THE NATIONAL STAGE”
FCT Minister Malam Muhammad Musa Bello (7th left) flanked by Chairman, FCT Council of NUJ, Comrade Emmanuel Ogbeche (3rd left), Permanent Secretary FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola (4th left) Senate Minority Whip Senator Philip Aduda (5th left), FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu (6th left), FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, (7th left) and Vice Chairman Senate Committee on FCT Senator Tolulope Odebiyi(8th left) with participants at the FCTA retreat for mandate secretaries and political office holders held in Abuja.
…FCT MINISTER ADMONISHES POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS
…CHARGES THEM TO FOCUS ON ACHIEVING SET OBJECTIVES
1. The Honourable Minister of the FCT, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has called on Mandate Secretaries and other political office holders to understand that they are working on the national stage, as all their actions are being monitored closely by Nigerians and even the international community.
2. The Minister said this as he declared open the induction programme and retreat for Mandate Secretaries and other political office holders of the FCTA holding in Abuja.
3. While addressing the political office holders, the Minister said “It must be understood that in the FCT, you are functioning and performing on the national stage and the eyes and if I might add, the ears of the whole country and even the international community are fixed squarely on you.
4. “In many instances, happenings in the FCT are the basis on which the country is adjudged by the international community. In other words, you are all working under the constant scrutiny”.5. He added “It is imperative therefore, that you always put your best foot forward with the understanding that you are not only representing our Party, the APC (and its progressive agenda) in the positions you occupy but also accountable to the people and perhaps more importantly, the Almighty”. Bello said
6. Malam Bello also revealed that in the 14 months left to the expiration of the tenure of the current administration, the FCTA would focus on the provision of social infrastructure that will have the desired impact on the majority of FCT residents.
7. These include substantive investments in the education, health, agriculture and transportation sectors. He also said that a solid foundation will be laid for improved revenue generation saying that the FCT was currently second only to Lagos State in Internally Generated Revenue, promising that it is the intention of the Administration to become the highest internally revenue generating sub national in the country.
8. The Minister also reminded attendees at the retreat that with increased political activities in the country, political office holders should expect a lot of political distraction and urged them not to be distracted but to focus squarely on meeting set objectives.
9. He said” You must also be wary of being distracted in the discharge of your responsibilities, especially as political activities begin to gain momentum. Criticism will become fiercer and seemingly unfair and sometimes laced with outright falsehood. These are to be expected in the intense struggle for political power. Your duty is to avoid being sidetracked and remain focused and committed with your eyes and efforts set on meeting set objectives”.
10. While calling on them to use the opportunity provided by the retreat to speak frankly to each other, bearing in mind that public service was a unique opportunity to serve the citizenry, he once more called on them to engage extensively in horizontal communication as a model for meeting challenges.
11. Malam Bello also expressed his appreciation to members of the National Assembly especially the Chairmen and members of the Senate and House Committees on the FCT, the Senate Minority Whip and Senator representing the FCT, Senator Philip Aduda as well as the Chairman of the House Committee on FCT Area Councils and Ancillary Matters Hon Tijjani Damisa.
12. In her remarks the Hon Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu urged political office holders to remain loyal and work to protect the integrity of the Administration and strengthen its institutions.
13. In his welcome remarks, the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola said that the mandate secretaries of the FCTA are the equivalent of Commissioners in the States, adding that in that capacity, they superintend specific aspects of the services of the FCT Administration to the citizenry. He reminded them that they had the responsibility to ensure the delivery of the mandates of the FCTA, under the Hon. Minister and the Hon. Minister of State.
14. He also said that the retreat which has “Capacity building for Accountable Leadership” as its theme will cover topics on FCT policies and mandate with focus on delivery of the goals of the Next Level agenda, administrative procedures, procurement procedures, ethics and accountability, staying out of trouble in the public service and the peculiar administrative arrangement in the FCT.
15. Others include relationship management, particularly with stakeholders, as well as managing health and living a stress free life.
16. In his remarks, Senator Philip Aduda commended the Minister for the infrastructural development of the FCT and urged the Administration to also pay attention to the development of the satellite towns.
17. Also speaking, Vice Chairman of the Senate Committee on the FCT, Senator Tolulope Odebiyi pledged the support of the Senate to the FCT Administration in its quest to develop a world class city. He said “We in the Senate, we are ever willing to support the Hon. Minister and the FCT. It is our pleasure and it is our hope to see a first-class city in Nigeria, a high technology city in Nigeria, a smart city in Nigeria, a city that has seamless and efficient service delivery.
18. Also present at the event were officials of the FCTA, the Chairman, FCT Council of the NUJ, Mr Emmanuel Ogbeche former Permanent Secretaries of the FCTA as well as other invited guests.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY