1. The Commandant, National Defence College (NDC), Rear Admiral Murtala M. Bashir has commended the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello on the provision of critical infrastructure and ensuring security in the FCT.
2. Rear Admiral Bashir made the commendation when he led a delegation of top officials of the College on a courtesy visit to the FCT Minister in his office.
3. In the words of the Commandant, “We want to recognize and appreciate the good work you are doing in the FCT in terms of provision of security and development of critical infrastructure. Our prayer is that that the Almighty God will continue to give you the focus so that you will take the Territory to the next level”.
4. Rear Admiral Bashir also congratulated the FCTA on the performance of its Director of Security, Mr Adamu Gwary, a member of Nigerian Defence College Course 30 whom he described as an exceptional participant who was giving a good account of himself and the FCTA in the NDC.
5. While revealing that the College will be celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2022, he solicited the support of the FCT Administration for the success of the anniversary celebrations.
6. In his response, the FCT Minister congratulated the Commandant on his appointment, adding that the College has always produced very high quality Nigerian and foreign graduates, who have been the pride of the country and the College.
7. Malam Bello acknowledged that after 30 years, the NDC had become a very strategic leadership training Institute not only for the Armed Forces but for other Nigerians as well.
8. He expressed his delight that Abuja was host city for such an important institution and pledged the support of the FCT Administration for its continual growth and development.
9. He disclosed that FCTA is working assiduously to fast-track infrastructural development in the Institutional District where the permanent site of the NDC is being developed to facilitate its movement to the permanent campus.
10. Malam Bello also said that it would be an honour for him to deliver a paper on leadership during the 30th anniversary celebrations following a request from Rear Admiral Bashir for him to do so.
11. The Minister however appealed for consideration of short capacity development courses for some traditional leaders as well as staff of the FCTA, to enable them improve their understanding and appreciation of government policies and regulations.
12. The Commandant had earlier given an insight into the functions and objectives of the College saying that it was established in 1992 to “impact knowledge and develop the expertise of senior military officers and their contemporaries in the paramilitary organizations and strategic ministries, departments and agencies through a firm understanding of all the factors that impact on international security, and to prepare them for higher responsibilities at the operational and strategic levels of governance”.
13. Also present at the event were the College Secretary, Air Vice Marshal B.L.P Kennam, Director of Coordination, Brig. Gen. A.M Alechenu, Director of Geopolitical Affairs Amb. Sola Enikanduye, Chief of Staff to the FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, SSA to the Minister on Security Amb. Salihu Mohammed, amongst other senior officials of the FCTA and the NDC.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY