FEC APPROVES N718M CONTRACT FOR PROVISION OF SECURITY FOR ABUJA RAIL MASS TRANSIT TRACK
1. The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved contract for the provision of security services to the Abuja Rail Mass Transit phase 1 (Lots 3 and 1A) at a total sum of N718, 193, 250 million.
2. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Malam Muhammad Musa Bello made this known after the FEC meeting held on Wednesday, 24th August 2022, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
3. According to the Minister, the contract was awarded to two security service providers namely Messrs Al-Ahli Security Guards Ltd, at the cost of N407, 214, 000 million, covering a distance of 27.245 kilometers and comprising of eight rail stations and Messrs Segad Security Protective Company Ltd, at the cost of N310, 979, 250 million, covering a distance of 18 kilometers, comprising of four stations.
4. The scope of the contract, which will last for a period of two years, includes protection of the rail tracks, Communication and Control Centre infrastructure as well as electrical and signaling equipment.
5. Acting Secretary, Transportation Secretariat, Usman Musa Yahaya while providing more details on the contract explained that the provision of emergency security services to the rail tracks became imperative following vandalization of portions of the track.
6. Yahaya recalled that following the commissioning the Abuja Rail Mass Transit operation in June, 2018, provision of rail services continued till the nation-wide lock down, which was occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic.
7. He regretted that, vandals took advantage of the lock down and vandalized some of the rail facilities.
8. Yahaya said: “This approval is therefore a very good one for the FCT because it will go a long way in securing the rail track.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY