…HOLDS HIGH POWERED MEETING WITH CCECC OFFICIALS
1. As part of efforts geared towards the imminent resumption of operations of the Abuja Mass Rail Transit system the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, accompanied by very senior relevant officials of the Administration has held a strategic meeting with senior officials of the China Civil Engineering and Construction Corporation (CCECC)at the Operation Control Center (OCC) of the rail system in Idu, Abuja.
2. Speaking after the meeting which also included an extensive tour of the OCC, the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola said that the purpose of the visit to the Center was to review the project and determine what actions to be taken within the shortest possible time, to restore the Abuja Mass Rail Transit system back into operation.
3. In the words of the Permanent Secretary “The FCT Administration has made substantial investment in this project with the support of the Federal Government of Nigeria. You will recall that the project was test run shortly after it was commissioned and thereafter, the advent of the COVID pandemic resulted in a forced closure and suspension of the operations.
4. COVID is over and we are desirous to resume operations. But there are certain issues that were not intended that had arisen, which will require attention. This is the purpose of coming here to look at the project in its entirety and to know actions to be taken within the shortest possible time, in order to restore the Abuja Mass Rail Transit system back into operation”.
5. The Permanent Secretary further disclosed that “A lot of high-powered decisions were reached, which we will give effect to as directed by the Minister. We will look forward to a quick resumption of the operation of the train system”.
6. On security, Mr Olusade said that in preparation for the resumption of operations, measures had been put in place to ensure the security of the entire length of the light rail system in addition to the security that will be provided on board by other government agencies.
7. “So, for the security of Abuja Rail Mass Transit, it is guaranteed. When we resume operations, everybody can travel in it safely” the Permanent Secretary added.
8. Also present at the meeting were the Executive Secretary, FCDA, Engr. Shehu Hadi Ahmed,, Chief of Staff to the Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, Secretary, Transportation Secretariat, Hon Adamu Candido, the FCTA Director Treasury Alh Zanna Hamza, Managing Director, CCECC (Nig) Ltd Mr David Wang and senior officials of the FCTA and the CCECC.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY