1. The President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Yakubu Chonoko Maikyau (SAN) has commended the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello for his adherence to the rule of law in his administration of the Federal Capital Territory.
2. The NBA President made this commendation when he led a delegation of members of the National Executive Committee of the NBA on a courtesy visit to the FCT Minister, on Thursday, 10th November 2022.
3. In his remarks during the visit, Mr Maikyau said the FCT Minister in the course of his duties has always adhered to the rule of law which he said was also the obligation of every citizen.
4. In the words of the NBA President “Principally, the NBA is about the promotion of the rule of law and it’s not just the responsibility of the legal profession alone. Every other person is under that obligation to promote the rule of law.
5. Speaking to the Minister, he said “We are here because what you have always done is really the promotion of the rule of law because your office is a creation of the statute, the things you do are regulated by statute and you follow the provision of the statute to make sure that all these things are done properly in compliance with the provisions of law.
6. “So, that is also one way by which the rule of law is being promoted by your office. So, we want to say that you are a partner in this our call that has been bestowed on us by reason of the privilege of being members of the legal profession. So, we’ve come to acknowledge you and also identify with what you are doing” he added
7. Mr Maikyau also attested to the Minister’s hard work in the administration of the FCT when he said “We are here to acknowledge you as our host in the FCT and a worthy host that we are very proud of.
8. “We can attest to your humility, we can attest to your openness, we can attest to the generosity that you brought into the office of the FCTA… It is only fair and deserving for us to come and show our respect to you and to also pledge our unflinching support and commitment to join your administration in continuing with the service that you render”.
9. In his response, Malam Bello said that the relationship between the FCT Administration and the NBA has always been cordial as it has been long standing because the objectives of both organisations in the adherence to the rule of law are the same.
10. The Minister said “The FCT Administration believes in the rule of law and as you rightly said, everything in Abuja is a creation of law. That is why we relate very well with the NBA and the judiciary because for us to be able to administer the Federal Capital Territory as envisaged by the Constitution and the founding fathers, it is definitely very important for us to relate with the judiciary and with the legal profession.
11. As I assure you that what has been historically a fruitful relationship will continue during your tenure and even beyond”.
12. The Minister wished the NBA President and members of the Executive Committee the best in the discharge of his responsibilities as President and pledged the support of the FCTA to the NBA.
13. Also present at the courtesy visit were the Chief of Staff to the Minister, malam Bashir Mai-Bornu, the Director, Human Resources Management, Dr Bashir Muhammed, the Solicitor General of the FCTA Mr Garduya Bawa Gamiya, the first Vice President of the NBA, Lynda Rose Bala, and other Exco members.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY