Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

RUMOURS OF MY COLLAPSE ARE DIVERSIONARY, BASELESS

-WIKE

The Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, has dismissed as baseless and diversionary, widespread rumours about his collapse and being rushed abroad for treatment.  

Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, following a routine inspection of ongoing infrastructure projects slated for commissioning in May to commemorate President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s second anniversary in office, Barrister Wike categorically denied the claims, saying that they were untrue. 

He attributed the spread of these rumours to political machinations, specifically pointing to those he alleged sought to divert attention from serious allegations of planned attacks on national assets, including the Rivers State House of Assembly complex as revealed by a former Head of Service of Rivers State government.

He said, “What happened was that the former Head of Service of Rivers State government came out to let the public know what was going on about a plan to bomb the House of Assembly complex and attack national assets. To divert the attention of people from focusing on that, they had to bring up rumours that I had been flown overseas. There was never a time I collapsed, there was never a time anybody took me overseas”.

The Minister said he was focused on his job of providing good governance in the FCT and would not be distracted by such unfounded rumours.

Barr. Wike emphasized his continued public engagements, citing his presence at the President’s Iftar engagement and his leading of Abuja residents during the Sallah homage to the President as evidence of his robust health. “You see me every day. The day Mr. President broke Iftar during his birthday, I was there. The next day, I led Abuja residents to pay Sallah homage. I see so many stories online, this is politics. Those things don’t bother us. We are not distracted. We are focused on our jobs.”

FCT Minister Barrister Nyesom Wike and the Regional Manager, Julius Berger Plc,Oliver Berger during the Minister’s inspection of renovation works at the International Conference Center, Abuja on Thursday.

He thanked Nigerians for their concern but cautioned against wishing ill health on others, reiterating that only God determines the time of one’s passing. “I thank Nigerians for showing concern, but people should not wish their fellow human beings such a thing to happen. We know that we will die one day, nobody will remain in this world forever, but it’s only God who determines the day you will die. No human being can say you will die today or tomorrow. So, don’t bother yourself, I’m very agile and I can assure you that I will write the condolence letters for those peddling these rumours.”

Speaking on the infrastructure projects he inspected, Barr. Wike expressed satisfaction with the progress of work at the International Conference Centre (ICC) renovation, the Arterial road N16 in Gishiri and its interchange connecting Maitama District to Katampe, and the Judges Quarters and its access roads in Katampe District.

He said, “We were at the International Conference Centre where much work has been done. They are keeping to the time that they have given and they are also doing a good quality job. We’ve gone to Gishiri and the roads leading to the Justices Quarters. I’m very much impressed with the good jobs and the contractors handling these projects. You can attest to the fact that this is a quality job being carried out”.

He commended the contractors, including Julius Berger and CGC, for their commitment to delivering the projects on schedule and assured that funding, with the support of President Tinubu, was not a challenge.

 He encouraged taxpayers to fulfill their obligations, promising that they will witness the tangible results of their contributions. “All we will say is that those who are supposed to pay their taxes should pay their taxes, and ask us what we are doing with taxpayers’ money. They can see what we are doing with taxpayers’ money.”

ANTHONY OGUNLEYE

DIRECTOR OF PRESS

(OFFICE OF THE MINISTER)

FCTA/ODP/PR/665

03/04/2025