…COMMITTEE TO SUBMIT REPORT IN TWO WEEKS
1. The FCT Minister, Barr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike has directed the setting up of a committee to look into the various issues of discontent of the National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) in the FCT.
2. The 6-man committee has membership drawn from FCT NULGE, the 6 Area Councils and the Area Council Services Secretariat.
3. Addressing the media shortly after a meeting between the FCTA, Area Council chairmen and officials of NULGE, which he chaired, the Minister said the committee has two weeks to submit its report.
4. He said: “We have had a very good meeting with the various bodies of the Area Councils and NULGE. The discussion went on very well and we have been able to set up a committee to come up with modalities for how the problems of NULGE will be solved”.
5. He continued “We believe also that NULGE is satisfied with the arrangements put on ground to resolve the issues. We are not being theoretical but practical, and we believe that in the next 48 hours, NULGE will do the needful in the interest of the FCT. We believe in them and we believe they will work for the development of the FCT”.
6. The Minister commended all parties, especially NULGE, for coming to the meeting with an open mind, which, he said, was necessary for the quick resolution of all problems.
7. He said, “When they have a mind set, it is difficult to talk. But when you have an open mind, it’s easy to communicate and this is why I must thank the President of NULGE and also thank the ALGON Chairman for their cooperation and thank members of the press for their support.
8. Shedding more light on the meeting held, the Secretary, Area Council Services Secretariat, Mr. Bitrus Lawrence Garki said issues raised by the NULGE went as far back as 2006 and commended the Minister’s intervention in resolving the problems.
9. He said: “The meeting today with NULGE and NUT is a part of NULGE and everything boils down to the 40 per cent peculiar allowance, hazard allowance and other deductions that NULGE is fighting for. And some of these issues go as far back as 2006. What happened today was basically to understand what these issues are and what the area councils are facing.
10. “The Honourable Minister was able to intervene and we thank God for his wisdom and experience. He set up a six-man Committee of which Members comprise the NULGE, Directors of Finance from the six Area Councils and also, we from the FCTA. From our discussions, of course, NULGE actually applauded the Minister for his steady interventions and responding to their letter”.
11. “When the Committee was constituted, we all agreed that the strike should be called off prior to when the report will come out from the Committees. So, two weeks was given and to be factual, the report should be back on the 10th (of October) and I believe once the report is sent to the Minister, we should be having a meeting again and find a more lasting solution”, he added
12. NULGE has planned to begin a strike over the next 24 hours prior to the intervention by the FCT Minister.
DIRECTOR OF PRESS
(OFFICE OF THE MINISTER)