1. Minister of the FCT, Barr Ezenwo Nyesom Wike has expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work at the various road projects in the Federal Capital City (FCC) embarked upon by the FCT Administration.
2. The Minister who inspected five projects on Saturday, September 30, 2023 in the company of the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Olusade Adesola, the Executive Secretary, FCDA, Engr. Shehu Hadi Ahmed former Governor of Abia State Dr Okezie Ikpeazu and other senior officials of the FCTA, commended the contractors handling the projects for the good work while urging them to ensure that they keep to the time of delivery.
3. The projects visited were: the full scope development of arterial road N20 from Northern Parkway to Outer Northern Expressway (ONEX) with spurs and the rehabilitation and expansion of Outer Southern Expressway from Villa Roundabout to Outer Southern Expressway (OSEX)/Ring Road 1 junction with four interchanges.
4. Others are, the construction of Southern Parkway from Christian Centre (S8/9) to Ring Road 1, the rehabilitation of the Federal Secretariat complex and Completion of roads B6, B12 and Circle Road in the Abuja Central Area
5. Barr Wike who addressed newsmen shortly after the inspection said ongoing projects in the FCT were abandoned by the contractors, due to non-payment but added that the contractors have since returned to site, following payment by the FCT Administration.
6. The Minister expressed the optimism that the projects would be completed and commissioned for use in the FCT within the next eight (8) months.
7. In the words of the Minister, “What we did in the FCT is to invite all the contractors so that we will be able to identify the quick deliverables in the next eight months.
8. “You will attest to the fact that there were no contractors as at the time we came on board because all the companies eventually left the site because of no payment and I believe with the Spirit of the renewed hope agenda, there’s the need to reassure our people that there will be change, and that change is what you’re seeing today.
9. “Eventually, those major companies have gone back to site. Julius Berger is on site. Satraco is on site. CGC is on site, Gilmore is on site. These are the ones we inspected today. Other companies are also on site but I don’t want to talk about them because we have not been on site. Because I believe that we need to see, not merely telling people.
10. “So we are happy that B6 and B12 being handled by Julius Berger, you can see the quality of job. Overall, we want to say that we are happy with what they are doing.They have been paid handsomely so that nobody will leave their site. By the grace of God, in the next 8 months, all of us will begin to benefit from the construction of these very strategic roads.
11. Some residents came to welcome the Minister at the Arterial Road N20 under construction. Barr. Wike while addressing the residents, stressed that he was just a messenger directed by the President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu to ensure that the road is ready for use by them at the shortest time possible.
12. The minister who empathized with the residents for the hardship they had faced due to work on the road, assured that their suffering will soon be over as the contractors have since been mobilised and have promised to deliver the road soon.
13. He added that what is happening in the FCT in terms of infrastructure provision is a demonstration that the renewed hope agenda is not a mere propaganda
13. He said: I know you didn’t have hope that this project will be completed. The President sent me to finish this road quickly to help you. So, you should thank the President and not me because I’m just a messenger.
14. The Minister called on the residents to also support the contractors to ensure the project is completed in good time, even as he urged them to also pray for the President.
15. Speaking on cattle roaming within the city centre, the Minister said the FCT Administration will talk to the cattle herders to have them understand that such is not allowed within the city.
16. The Minister however clarified that the ban on cattle rearing is only within the Federal Capital City and not the entire territory of the FCT. He said the FCT has plans for cattle rearing outside of the city centre.
17. The FCT Minister also spoke on the issue of motorcycles operating within the city centre. He said the FCT Administration is working to provide alternative transportation systems before it would commence total enforcement of the ban on motorcycles in the city centre.
18. Barrister Wike while equally commenting on the recent termination of the appointments of Heads of Agencies and Departments under the FCTA, called for understanding of the transient nature of political office. He said what is important is to get things right in the FCT, and individuals who occupy offices.
DIRECTOR OF PRESS
OFFICE OF THE HONOURABLE MINISTER